The school games is an all inclusive programme to allow all school children the opportunity to take part in competitive sport.
It enables all students the access to competitive sport and allow them to develop their sporting ability to go on to represent the district, county and possibly nation. In addition the school games programme encourages young people to volunteer providing them with the opportunity to lead, officiate and support events in a multitude of capacities to increase their sporting experience in different ways whilst developing useful skills.
There are 4 levels of competition within the school games where children have the opportunity to participate or volunteer.
- Level 1 - Schools are encouraged to run frequent competitions within the school to provide opportunities for all students to take part in competitive sport.
- Level 2 - SSPANs are responsible for running regular competitions between the schools in their area to give children the chance to represent their school at an inter-school tournament.
- Level 3 - For those schools successful at Level 2 competitions, they are invited to participate in the Level 3 county & SSPAN finals along with a representative from the other 9 SSPANs throughout Leicestershire & Rutland. These are competitions organised by both Leicestershire & Rutland Sport (LRS) and the SSPAN network to ultimately find a County champion!
- Level 4 - this is a unique opportunity for those elite participants to take part in a national multi-sport event. This is the ultimate level of competition and gives participants the experience of an Olympic Games with opening and closing ceremonies, an athlete's village, visits and support from professional athletes and the opportunity to perform in front of thousands of spectators. The National Level 4 School Games have for the past 2 years been hosted at Loughborough University and volunteers from the HBSSPAN network have support the delivery of this competition.
The Hinckley and Bosworth SSPAN is responsible for the delivery of the Level 2 tier of the school games structure. For the 2017-18 academic year the Network will coordinate and deliver over 80 competitions which will feed into a County or SSPAN final as well as an additional programme of competitions to facilitate the needs of the schools throughout the district. This is in addition to the delivery of additional leadership qualifications and opportunities and external project delivery the external partners such as the Youth Sport Trust.
In 2013/14 Hinckley and Bosworth were crowned the Leicestershire school games champions. Over the 2014/15 school year Hinckley and Bosworth had 2,443 participants at level 2 and 467 participants representing their schools and the district at level 3. This resulted in 2nd place at the level 3 tournament, missing out on attaining back to back titles by a single point!
The programme is always growing the number of events and sports on offer. Our SSPAN had over 84 competitions in 2015/16, resulting in us regaining the top of the Leicestershire School Games Champions.
In 2016/17, Hinckley and Bosworth came 2nd in the overall Leicestershire School Games. The SSPAN team also successfully ran more competitions than any other previous years.
Ultimately, the programme is always growing the number of events and sports on offer, with the SSPAN network continually committed to ensure all young people have the opportunity to participate within sport and physical activity.
Team Leicestershire is the umbrella association for the traditional competitive school sport offer across Leicestershire, Leicester City and Rutland.
It is open to every secondary school – both state and independent, and aims to ensure that as many young people as possible have the opportunity to participate in competitive school sport. Enabling young people to represent their school and compete in a variety of sports/competitions, both at a local level against neighbouring schools, but then with the opportunity to progress through to county finals.
It also aims to re-ignite, support and profile our County representative sides, so that our most talented young people have the opportunity to represent their County with pride on a regional and national stage.
Team Leicestershire competitions are delivered across the following sports:
- Table Tennis
Leagues and fixtures for the above competitions are coordinate by the HBSSPAN with schools participating to see who would be crowned Hinckley & Bosworth champion. Results for the 2017-18 academic year can be found on the 2017-18 Results page.
School Games Organiser
School Sport and Physical Activity Team
- Bosworth Academy, Leicester Lane, Desford, LE9 9JL
- 01455 822841 (ext. 249)